Just thinking about dandruff is enough to gross you out, what’s worse is that the dead flaky skin usually comes with itching.
Now, while dandruff is not a life-threatening condition, we are sure that you do not want your dog to have it, but if they do, we have a solution for you.
The best shampoo for dog dandruff can help you eliminate those tiny flakes sitting on your dog’s coat. Hang in there as we guide you through the process of getting your hands on the perfect bottle.
Good Dandruff Shampoo for Dogs: Comparison List
Looking for good shampoo products to help you manage your dog’s flaky skin? Here’s a quick list full of good ideas.
|1||Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic||2.4 x 2.3 x 8 inches||1.1 pounds|
|2||Natural Oatmeal Dog-Shampoo and Conditioner||9 x 3 x 3 inches||1.6 pounds|
|3||Pet MD Benzoyl Peroxide Medicated Shampoo for Dogs||6.5 x 3.5 x 0.2 inches||13.6 ounces|
|4||Wahl Dry Skin & Itch Relief Pet Shampoo for Dogs||2.5 x 3.5 x 9 inches||1.6 pounds|
|5||All Natural & Organic Oatmeal Puppy/Pet Shampoo||9 x 3 x 3 inches||1.2 pounds|
|6||Earthbath THREP0036 All Natural Eucalyptus and Peppermint Shampoo||4.5 x 2 x 8 inches||2 pounds|
|7||PetAg Fresh ‘n Clean Skin & Coat Essentials Dandruff Shampoo||2.3 x 2.3 x 7.8 inches||0.8 pounds|
|8||Pet Oatmeal Anti-Itch Shampoo||2.5 x 2.5 x 8.5 inches||1.18 Pounds|
|9||Hartz Groomer’s Best Anti-Dandruff Dog Shampoo||1.92 x 3.32 x 9.24 inches||1.1 Pounds|
|10||4-Legger USDA Certified Organic Dog Shampoo||2.5 x 2.5 x 8.5 inches||1 Pounds|
|11||BEXLEY LABS Curaseb Benzoyl Peroxide Dog Shampoo||7.5 x 2 x 2 inches||0.8 pounds|
|12||Dog Shampoo for Smelly Puppy, Cat, Small Pet||8.5 x 2.2 x 1.4 inches||0.99 pounds|
1. Veterinary Formula Clinical Care 16 oz Medicated Shampoo for Dogs
It is a revolutionary antiseptic, antiparasitic, and anti-seborrheic shampoo that can work pretty well on your sensitive dog skin.
Based on its formulations, it contains salicylic acid, cold tar, and micronized sulfur that effectively treats scaling of the skin caused by seborrhea a well as relieving mange among other parasitic infections.
Also, it is effective for the treatment of fungal as well as bacterial infections. Moreover, it contains allantoin and oatmeal that keeps the skin soft and hydrated, thereby promoting quick healing.
Better yet, this medicated shampoo is fast-acting and can help in relieving inflamed scalp, red skin rashes, waxy and greasy skin, flaky, and itchy skin caused by dermatitis, seborrhea, mange, and some bacterial infections.
And on top of that, it is free from parabens, dyes, and soapy ingredients. Plus, it will not wash away any topical flea and tick treatment applied before.
- An effective deep cleansing solution
- Great for pets with sensitive skin and allergies
- Has a well-balanced pH
- Free from soaps, paraben, and dyes
- Doesn’t remove topical flea application
- Moisturizes dry and flaky skin
- Relieves itchiness
- Not suitable for puppies below 12 weeks
2. Natural Oatmeal Dog-Shampoo and Conditioner
It’s is a premium coat and skin cleanser that can work awesomely on your dog’s coat to maintain coat luster and skin health.
Not to mention, it contains essential oils as the primary ingredients. Such oils include oatmeal oil, which keeps the skin soft, moist, and relieves itchy skin.
In addition to that, it relieves symptoms associated with allergies, dry skin, and hot spots. Apart from that, it deodorizes, softens, and keeps your dog’s coat cleaner.
Better yet, this powerful shampoo for dandruff features organic ingredients such as aloe and sources of vitamins that serve as antioxidants to support healthy skin and brilliant coat.
If you are looking for a soap-free shampoo for dogs that will not leave your loyal companion in tears after a wash, then this product must have been made for you.
- It is made up of naturally derived ingredients
- Gentle on the skin
- Effectively eliminates dandruff
- Soothes itchy skin
- Deodorizes and softens dry skin
- Enriched with vitamin B5
- Soap-less and tear-free
- Contains 100% natural essential oils that cleanse the skin
- Effective when regularly used
3. Pet MD 12 Oz Benzoyl Peroxide Medicated Shampoo for Dogs and Cats
This is yet another incredible shampoo for dandruff that can give your dog a clean and healthy coat filled with fragrance.
Based on its formulation, this powerful cleanser is effective for dandruff, mange, seborrhea, itchy skin relief, folliculitis, and acne.
This shampoo is gentle on a dog’s skin and relieves scally and itchy skin caused by demodectic mange and other skin infections.
In addition to that, it possesses antiseptic, antifungal, and antibacterial properties that help to cure and relieve dryness and itchiness on the skin and pyoderma.
It also contains peroxides, salicylic acid, and micronized sulfur that is an excellent degreasing and cleansing ingredient.
Better yet, it contains natural skin moisturizers and deodorizers that remove scales effectively and degreases the skin of oils from the coat, thereby leaving your dog clean and fresh.
And on top of that, it is manufactured in the USA with high quality and certified ingredients that make it soap and paraben-free.
- Made from all-natural ingredients
- Paraben-free, and free from toxic dyes
- Has a great deep cleansing property
- Made in the US
- Moisturizes and softens the skin
- Contain deodorants
- Has antibacterial, antiseptic and antifungal properties
- Needs gloves for application to avoid irritation
- Effective when applied repeatedly
4. Wahl 24 Oz Dry Skin & Itch Relief Pet Shampoo for Dogs
It is a revolutionary oatmeal formula from the hand of Wahl experts that can be perfect for your furry friend.
It moisturizes dry skin, cleanses dirty fur, and relieves itchy skin. Not to mention, it produces a thick lather that rinses off easily.
Moreover, this formula contains highly concentrated ingredients such as sodding agent derived from coconut that makes it possible to use a little amounts of the shampoo to work on your dog as compared to other alternative shampoos.
If your haired pooch has got sensitive skin, you have little if not nothing to worry about as this remarkable product is hypoallergenic and formulated to meet the needs of dogs with ultra-sensitive skin.
As such, this shampoo is likely not to cause any allergic reaction that leads to irritation on your dog’s skin.
And on top of that, it contains coconut-lime verbena-scent that leaves your pooch fresh smelling after the wash.
- Made up of all-natural ingredients
- It allows 70% more baths as compared to other competitive brands.
- Cleans and conditions the fur
- Scented with coconut-lime verbena
- Free from paraben, alcohol, and peg-80
- Has a balanced pH
- Highly recommended by the vets
- Relieves itchy skin and moisturizes dry skin
- Not effective on one-time application
5. Pro Pet Works 17 OzAll Natural Organic Oatmeal Shampoo
Looking for the best shampoo for removing dandruff on your pooch with sensitive skin? If so, this might be the perfect option for your hairy friend.
It is uniquely formulated for dogs allergic to foods, flea bites, and grass. Apart from that, it can also be used on cats, rabbits, and ferrets.
In addition to that, it contains organically derived ingredients that moisturize dry skin and soothes sensitive and itchy skin.
In conjunction to that, this powerful product contains aloe vera extract and almond oil that have therapeutic value and soothing properties for irritated skin and coat.
Better yet, it contains vitamins A, D, and E that are gentle on your dog’s skin and nose, thereby making your pooch to enjoy the bath.
Moreover, it cleans the pet’s coat and skin while the deodorizing agents eliminate stinky pet odors.
- Effectively removes dandruff and keeps your dog’s skin and coat clean and fresh
- Gentle and do not irritate eyes and nose when in contact
- Keeps coat soft and comfortable to brush many days after the bath
- Contains 100% naturally derived ingredients
- Free from alcohol, parabens, and phthalates.
- Doesn’t remove foul odors completely
6. EarthbathAll Natural Pet Shampoo
It is yet another great all-natural shampoo containing oatmeal and aloe vera as the primary ingredients in the formula.
The aloe vera alleviates irritation on the skin and supports quick healing. On the other hand, oatmeal moisturizes dry and sensitive skin.
In addition to that, this top-quality shampoo is soap-free and has a well-balanced pH that helps to clean thoroughly and deodorize smelly skin and coat, thereby maintaining a brilliant, plush and soft fur.
It features peppermint and eucalyptus that offers a solution to the common topical skin issues while relieving skin irritation.
- Cleanses the skin and coat from dirt, dandruff, and odor
- Made up of naturally derived ingredients
- Features peppermint and eucalyptus that offers a solution to common topical skin diseases
- Free from parabens, dyes, and phthalates
- It is sweet-scented
- Moisturizes dry skin and soothes itchy skin
- May not produce enough lather for thick or double coats
7. PetAg Fresh ‘n Clean Skin & Coat Essentials Dandruff Shampoo
This shampoo is powerful for eliminating dermatitis and dandruff. It contains rooibos tea extract, which is excellent for relieving and calming itchy skin.
Also, it contains glycerine, which assists in retaining moisture on the skin, thereby keeping it soft and fresh.
In addition to that, this exceptional shampoo features salicylic acid that deep cleanses the skin and exfoliates the dead skin cells, thereby maintaining dandruff-free skin and coat.
Besides, it contains aloe vera that is a great soothing agent for the skin, fatty acids that keep the skin soft and supple, and vitamin E that acts as a moisturizing agent.
Better yet, it contains rooibos tea extract that is an excellent skin and coat antioxidant and green tea for fragrance.
- Keeps skin soft and supple
- Contains moisturizes that conditions the skin
- Contains olive oil and aloe vera for soothing itchy skin
- Has skin and coat antioxidants
- Gentle on pet’s skin
- Salicylic acid deep cleanses the skin
- Scented to keep the pet fresh smelling
- Can elicit allergic reactions in some dogs
8. Pets Are Kids TooPet Oatmeal Anti-Itch Shampoo
This organically formulated shampoo features oatmeal, aloe vera, baking soda, and coconut oil that offers an immediate itch relief on itchy skin.
Apart from that, it contains antifungal and antibacterial treatments that protect your pooch from itchy skin caused by flea bites, yeast, and allergy. As such, it’s an excellent solution for relieving hots pots and itchiness on dogs with sensitive skin.
Not to mention, this premium quality pet shampoo is formulated to address the needs of both large and small dogs as well as cats.
In addition to that, this powerful cleaning solution is blended with oatmeal cookies scent that effectively removes the stinky order and leaves behind a long-lasting fragrance that will impress you.
And on top of that, it’s hypoallergenic, eliminates dandruff, cruelty-free, and contains no harmful chemical compound.
- All-natural recipes
- Doesn’t irritate the nose and eyes
- Free from toxic chemicals
- Great for pets with sensitive skin
- The scent doesn’t go long as expected
9. Hartz 18 Oz Groomer’s Best Shampoos and Sprays
It’s premium quality shampoo has a unique formulation to reduce dermatitis, soothe itching skin as well as irritation and drastically reduce dandruff.
Not to mention, its gentle on the skin and lathers easily for thorough cleaning on the coat to leave it soft and shiny.
Also, it’s excellent for dogs across the ages and hair lengths, making it more versatile in use. With the salicylic acid included in the formula, this top-rated shampoo deep cleanses your pooch’s coat and prevents flakes.
In addition to that, its free from alcohol, parabens, phthalates, sulfurtes, and dyes, thereby making it safe for use on the skin of your loyal companion.
Lastly, it is lightly-scented and keeps the fresh dog smelling for an extended period.
- Great for dogs across the ages
- Calms skin irritation with a creamy and gentle formula
- Contains moisturizers and conditioners for soft and silky skin
- Buttermilk scented to keep your pet fresh smelling
- Suitable for use on sensitive skin
- Lathers easily for thorough coat and skin cleaning
- Contains no parabens, alcohols, dyes among other toxic chemicals
- May cause irritation on the nose and eyes in case of contact
10. 4-Legger Certified Organic Hypoallergenic All Natural Aloe Dog Shampoo
It is one of the top quality USDA certified organic shampoo that is 100% naturally derived from providing a solution to dry, flaky, itchy, and stinky coat and skin.
Based on its formulation, it contains essential oils such as olive, coconut, and jojoba blended with lemongrass oil and aloe vera that soothes the skin.
In addition to that, it is hypoallergenic and so safe for pets across the ages. Moreover, it contains a natural flea repellant, lathers, and rinses easily and does not contain artificial thickeners that might be toxic to your lovely pooch.
- Made up of biodegradable and sustainable ingredients
- Contains natural moisturizers and hair conditioners
- It contains lemongrass that is flea deterrent
- It is USDA certified organic
- Lathers and rinses easily
- Does not contain synthetic thickeners
- Recommended by vets and professional pet groomers
- It is a bit expensive
11. BEXLEY LABS 12 Oz Curaseb Benzoyl Peroxide Dog Shampoo
It is one of the highest-selling anti-dandruff Shampoo that is great for relieving scratching and scaling caused by seborrhea, demodectic mange, mite, pyoderma, and acne.
Based on its formulation, it contains a blend of benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, and sulfur that makes a powerful antimicrobial shampoo.
In addition to that, it is gentle and deodorizes the skin as well as flushing the pores and removes debris, excess oils, yeast, and bacteria leaving behind the citrus fragrance.
And on top of that, it’s USA-made and recommended by vets and professional groomers. Interestingly, if you don’t get the expected satisfaction, you will get a full price refund.
- Deeply cleanses the skin
- Recommended by vets
- Deodorizes the skin and remove odors
- Has naturally derived ingredients
- Manufactured in the US
- Citrus scented
- Effective anti-dandruff
- The scent might be strong to some pet parents
12. Mika Pets Dog Shampoo for Smelly Puppy, Cat, and Small Pet
It’s yet another oatmeal formulated dog shampoo that can be great for cleaning dirty coat, conditioning, relieving dry and itchy skin, as well as flea and tick bite irritation.
It contains a concentrated mix featuring colloidal oatmeal for optimum conditioning and moisturization. Besides, it contains aloe vera that is potent in healing.
It is also pH balanced and gentle on the skin, thereby making your pooch enjoy the wash.
- It is hypoallergenic and suitable for dogs with sensitive skin
- Made up of all-natural and cruelty-free ingredients
- Eliminates dandruff
- Ideal for all breeds
- Has anti-inflammatory capabilities
- Comes with a refreshing coconut scent
- Deodorizes coat and skin leaving your fresh smelling
- Some pet parents do not like the strong smell
Best-Priced Shampoo for Dog Dandruff Buying Guide
Your pooch is part of your family and you want to treat them as such. So, the same way you would treat yourself or any of your family members if they had dandruff, is the same way you should treat your dog.
As you look for a shampoo to control your dog’s dandruff, you need to consider a few factors including:
Hydration for the Skin
Soap is what we are used to for all our cleaning and it is only natural that you would assume that it should be a main ingredient in your dog’s shampoo.
But are aware that soap strips the skin of its oils and leaves it dry? This is what causes the skin to flake and result in dandruff.
For that reason, you want to pick a shampoo that will clean your dog while still maintaining the moisture in their skin. In fact, a good shampoo should be able add moisture to your dog’s skin.
Authenticity of Ingredients
What ingredients does your shampoo of choice contain? You want to avoid synthetic additives at all costs because chances are high that they will do more harm than good.
The last thing you want is to get a shampoo with abrasive chemicals that will worsen your dog’s dandruff. Instead, go for something with natural ingredients because they are less likely to cause more irritation.
Shampoo Consistency and Quality
Have you ever used a shampoo and even after rinsing it out you still found some residue left in your hair? It is annoying to say the least.
If you get such kind of a shampoo for your dog, it will not get rid of any dandruff but rather make the situation worse.
The ideal shampoo should be of light consistency and of premium quality so that when you wash it off, it completely comes off your dog’s hair along with all the dandruff.
How to Care for Your Dog to Avoid Dandruff
You can practice the following tips to control dog dandruff.
- Brush your dog’s coat on a regular basis. By doing so, you eliminate dead hair and promote growth of a healthy coat. This will also help reduce dandruff.
- Use a hydrating shampoo to bathe your dog regularly. This will make their skin supple and discourage dandruff formation.
- If your pooch appears to be suffering from more than just dandruff and you notice strange symptoms such as bald spots, bumps, and skin redness, consult a vet right away.
- Ensure that your dog’s diet contains adequate fatty acids because they promote healthy growth of the coat.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is now time to address some commonly asked questions in respect to dog dandruff and the best shampoos to control the condition.
What is a quality dog shampoo?
A good shampoo should be hydrating to keep your pooch’s skin supple, soap-free to avoid leaving any residue on your dog’s coat, and as natural as possible to soothe your dog’s skin.
What is the best shampoo to control dog dandruff?
There is really no particular shampoo for that because there are many good products in the market. It all depends on what works best for your pooch.
Can shampoo make my dog sick?
Not really sick, but it can cause irritation. Perhaps your pooch is allergic or sensitive to some of the ingredients in their shampoo.
This is the reason why we insist on getting a shampoo with all-natural ingredients because they are less likely to cause your pooch any harm.
Can I use my shampoo to wash my dog?
Absolutely not. Humans and dogs do not have the same pH and a shampoo designed for human use is likely to be too acidic for your dog.
This will create an environment for bacteria, viruses, and parasites to thrive. Besides, it will also strip your dog’s skin of its natural oils hence causing dandruff.
Our Best Pick
Based on our research, “Veterinary Formula Clinical Care 16 oz Medicated Shampoo for Dogs” is the best shampoo for dog dandruff.
It’s quick-acting and great for relieving bald spots, inflamed scalp, waxy skin or greasy skin, red skin rashes, itch, and flaky skin caused by mange, seborrhea, dermatitis, bacterial, and parasitic infections.
Better yet, it contains oatmeal and Allantoin that moisturizes and conditions the skin, thereby promoting healing. And on top of that, it’s affordable, effective, and vet’s- recommended.
Dandruff can be caused by a number of things, but that is not why we are here today. What is more important is how to arrest the situation when it happens.
A good shampoo designed to deal with dog dandruff should be able to control the unsightly flakes and itchiness that comes along with dandruff.
We have done our research and brought you this guide to help you make the right choice when selecting the perfect shampoo so go right ahead and do it.